WELCOME!!!

Welcome to my blog! This site is specifically dedicated to the pursuits and engagement of crafty young men who make fantastic things and things fantastic. As a life-long crafter and after 10 years in the craft business, I find that there just isn't enough being offered in the way of crafts for men. Every now and then there are some cool patterns that some of us would actually wear, but on a whole most patterns are written for women, by women and allow women to make and learn while most men are still waiting for a chance to learn through the making of things that are actually useful and handsome! So, let’s get crafty guys!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Men who knit...

Although crafting is not at all synonymous with knitting and crocheting it is something that has really impacted my life and I would urge you to give it a whirl. I began crocheting when I was about 6 years old. My mother, a single mom, worked a 3rd job at home as a medical transcriptionist and to keep me busy and out of her hair she took an afternoon to teach me crocheting. Within a few weeks our living room was filled with miles of chains and swatches of single, double and treble crochet. I began making hats and scarves around 8 or 9 years old. Around this time the name-calling started and I was dubbed a fag at school, when in reality I was just an over stylish twerp with the first spike hairdo in the school. Alas, I dated a girl and dropped the hook for a few years. It wasn’t until I was 20 years old and in art school that I took up the practice again. I took a refresher course at Strawberry Tree in Denver and started teaching.
Around that time I started knitting. I took lessons from a crazy lady…’nough said. I fell madly in love with the art and practice of knitting. I have taught now 9 years. I usually don’t make garments; usually I only make things that are conversation pieces.


















(Men making socks on sock machines! Old school fabulous!)



















I started making this sock a few nights ago. It is made out of Malabrigo sock yarn. The pink is “Light of Love” and the purple color is a hand-dyed color that I came up with last week when I began experimenting with RIT, Coolaide, and Jacquard acid dyes. I am really excited about these-over-the-top-socks for this spring. I thought that they would be really cool to make because they are so loud and one of those things that will go great with a pair of black slacks, as a little surprise-surprise.
The pattern comes from a cool book called Knitting Marvelous Mittens, Ethnic Designs from Russia by Charlene Schurch.

Keep your eyes peeled for the finished pair as soon as I get them done.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna see your fabulous sock! Surely.. you're finished now!

    ReplyDelete